Sunday, March 23, 2014

Cross (Country) Training

Very often it's the unintended or unexpected that impacts the most.  We may train like mad, swimming, cycling and running to no seeming end, only to find that a small change in seat height, or a new sports drink, figured most heavily in the outcome of a race.  In truth, we like to think we know how to steer that ship of life, but we really don't.
Such was the case a few weeks back as we headed to Seiser Alm, a magnificent ski venue in the Italian Dolomites.  We were headed for a week of skiing, and word was the southern Alps (where we were headed) had stolen all of the snow from the north (where we live).  Only problem was that for the first winter in a long, long time, I'd not roller skied, or bounded with poles up hills, or done any one of a number of things Norwegians and others with similar Nordic builds and bent do to go fast on snow.  Settling into life in Germany had taken all of our time, and suddenly here it was, winter, and I needed to be in ski shape.
How then to explain the best week of skiing in my life, much of it at altitude?  Lifestyle, that's how.  You see, rather then explicitly train for cross country skiing, I'd added a much tougher and more wonderful bike commute to my life, replete with big hills, dark woods and plenty of fresh air.  In addition, I solved a long-plaguing foot problem and became a runner all over again, after pretty much having sworn off the chance of ever again feeling comfortable in running shoes.  Finally, when the weather allowed, and even sometimes when it most certainly did not, I got on my mountain bike or road bike and took to the amazing roads and trails of Schwabian Germany, noticing every time that being outdoors is what it's all about around here, no matter your age, and regardless the season and weather.  The net result is that I had inadvertantly trained for skiing, and rather than suffer through a week due to a lack of preparation, I was reminded that your classic multi-sport athlete's active lifestyle may be a good suitor to a variety of endeavors.  
Seiser Alm had simply the most beautiful ski trails I'd ever seen, and to do anything other than ski all over them each day we were there would have been sacrilege, and so I skied on, at first worried that by day three, Tuesday, I'd be spent.  Yet, strangely, rather then feel more tired, the days got easier even as daily mileage climbed.  Before long, I was tackling the biggest climbs and returning to favorite trails, knowing it would soon end but hoping it wouldn't.
Perhaps most interestingly, it was a week where I was able to push physically each day, sometimes for five or six hours, and find that my body is again strong and resilient.  I don't know if I have another Kona Offensive in me, but the week at Seiser Alm has shown that training can come in many stripes, and that this triathlete at least has made one big "transition" since 2012.  Here's to Cross (Country) Training!  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment